In this post you will learn how to flush the Breville Barista Pro. Also, you will find here answers to the most common questions about flushing.
To perform the flush cleaning cycle on the Breville Barista Pro, you will need:
- Cleaning disc – A cleaning disc is a small black flexible disc that holds the cleaning tablet in the filter basket and seals the openings in the filter basket, allowing for the cleaning tablet to dissolve and get sucked into the group head to backflush the espresso machine.
- Cleaning tablet – The cleaning tablet (flush tablet) is a detergent that cleans oil residue. Here is an Amazon link to the original cleaning tablets for the Breville Barista Pro.
- 1 cup single wall filter basket – Even though there is no recommendation on which basket to use in the official Breville Barista Pro manual, the 1 cup single wall filter basket is the best fit for the cleaning disc.
Here is a step by step manual on how to flush (backflush) the Breville Barista Pro:
- Insert a 1 cup single wall filter basket into the portafilter.
- Place the cleaning disc into the filter basket.
- Put the cleaning tablet on top of the cleaning disc (in the center).
- Lock the portafilter into the group head.
- Empty the drip tray.
- Add water into the water tank to the MAX line.
- Press the MENU button.
- Use the GROUND AMOUNT dial to navigate to the FLUSH sign and press to select. The 1 CUP button will illuminate.
- To start the flush cleaning cycle, press the 1 CUP button. The flush cycle takes 5 minutes to complete. You will see the remaining time for the cycle on the display. No water is going to come out of the portafilter. It will be flushed from the inside of the machine right into the drip tray.
- When the flush cycle is complete, the machine will beep and return to READY mode.
- Gently remove the portafilter. Be careful. There might be some hot water inside. If some of the cleaning tablet remains in the cleaning disc, repeat the cycle.
- Empty and rinse the portafilter, the cleaning disc, and the drip tray.
What Does the FLUSH Alert Mean on a Breville Espresso Machine?
The FLUSH alert on the Breville Espresso Machine means that you need to perform the flush cleaning cycle, often called the backflush. This cycle cleans the group head from oil residue. During the flush cycle, a cleaning tablet is dissolved and flushed from the portafilter back through the group head into the machine and comes out in the back of the drip tray. No water will come out from the portafilter.
How Often to Flush the Breville Barista Pro?
The Breville Barista Pro should be flushed every time the FLUSH alert pops up on the display. How often the alert pops up depends on the use of the machine. On average, we make two double shots per day, and we flush our Breville Barista Pro every 4-6 weeks.
Breville Barista Pro Flush Tablets
The cleaning tablets for the Breville Barista Pro are a detergent that removes oil from the group head during the flush cleaning cycle (also known as backflush). The Breville Barista Pro comes with two cleaning tablets, and you can buy the same ones on Amazon in a packet of eight tablets (Amazon link).
Make the Best Coffee with Your Breville Barista Pro
If you want to learn how to make the perfect shot of espresso according to your preferences, check out our Ultimate Guide for the Breville Barista Pro.