If you own a pair of Hoka One One shoes, you are probably a serious runner, and in no time, you will have to deal with the question, how to clean your Hoka shoes to keep them in the best condition as long as possible. After my husband’s 100k Ultra SkyMarathon championship, I spent some time researching just that. Since I have not found any washing tips on the official Hoka One One website, and the answer was a bit hidden in the internet web, I have created this post to spare you some time.
The best way to wash Hoka One One shoes
The best way to clean Hoka shoes, is to hand wash them with warm water, soap, and a sponge. After washing let your Hoka’s air dry in a well-ventilated area away from direct sunlight or source of excessive heat such as radiator.
Can you wash Hoka One One shoes in the washing machine?
Washing Hoka One One footwear in the washing machine is not advised by Hoka due to the possible damage. If you still decide to put them into the washing machine, Hoka One One emphasizes that you should not put them into the dryer because the heat will cause damage.
How to dry Hoka One One shoes
After washing your Hoka One One shoes, let them air dry. If you haven’t done it earlier, remove the insole to dry separately. Depending on the ambient temperature, the drying takes about one day. A fast way to let your shoes dry is to put them outside in a breezy spot. Some sources state that leaving shoes in the sun can damage the shoe (melting glue, etc.). I haven’t found such notice from any shoe brands. However, if you want to be as careful as possible, choose a place in the shade. If you live in an apartment, a great place to dry your shoes is a window sill.
Do not put them into the dryer because the heat will cause damage!
How I wash Hoka One One shoes
1. Remove the laces and the insole and wash them separately with warm water and soap.
2. Shake off any loose dirt from the shoe (some might have been hidden under the insole).
3. Wash the shoe thoroughly with warm water, soap (optional), and a sponge. I also use a soft brush for the sole. An effective way to wash the fabric thoroughly is to rub your hands against each other while holding the fabric with one hand from the inside and the other from the outside under the running water until the water is clear. Repeat this process all over the shoe.
4. In the end, fill the shoe with water and pour it out several times to rinse the inside of the shoe.
5. Let the laces, insole, and shoes air dry.
Here is the before and after.